The year 2020 also brought new challenges for the Samba eXPerience: The 19th international conference revolving around the OpenSource software Samba took place from 26th - 28th May 2020 for the first time exclusively in digital form. The annual meeting of the international Samba team, which is usually held in Göttingen, was also extremely successful as an online event. The sambaXP 2020 was again sponsored by Google and Microsoft.
Thanks to the virtual format, the sambaXP was even able to grow: 150 developers, users, manufacturers and system houses from the samba ecosystem from a total of 23 countries took part in 2020. One of the planning challenges was therefore to set the times of the conference in a sensible way. The setting of a daily frame from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. CEST made it possible for both speakers and participants to follow attentively.
Another positive side-effect was that organizer SerNet published videos on sambaxp.org for the first time - including Stefan Kania's workshop on CTDB / GlusterFS.
Code name: Unstad
Publication: April 14, 2020
With verinice 1.20, the verinice.TEAM provides more than 50 new functions, detail changes and bug fixes.
With verinice 1.20, users receive support for essential tasks in the modernized IT-Grundschutz:
- The update of modelled information networks, which is required annually by the BSI with the publication of a new IT-Grundschutz compendium, is significantly simplified by a guided update functionality (new modelling).
- The implementation of the risk analysis according to BSI standard 200-3 is effectively supported by visualization of outstanding risk analyses as well as high or very high risks requiring action.
- The visualization of the implementation status for each module shows at a glance the degree of fulfillment of the type of procedure.
- IT-Grundschutz audits can be performed, documented and output via report template.
The most important innovations are documented in the release notes.
The 19th International Conference for the open source software Samba will take place from 26th - 28th May 2020 as an online event. The planned IO-Lab is cancelled.
SambaXP is the annual meeting of the international Samba team with developers, users, manufacturers and system integrators within the Samba ecosystem, which has been held since 2002.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation and the associated travel and meeting restrictions, this year's conference unfortunately cannot take place at the usual venue in Göttingen. Therefore the organizing committee is planning a digital edition of the popular conference for this year.
The speakers will give their presentations live from their desks, so that participants can follow the conference from anywhere in the world via the Internet. Compared to the usual event format, the online event offers even more flexibility: It is easier to switch between tracks running in parallel or even follow two presentations at the same time. The event is recorded with consent of the speakers and will be available online after the conference.
The traditional tutorial by Stefan Kania will also be held as a webinar on the day before the conference (Tuesday, 25 May 2020). This year's topic: "Clustering with CTDB".
The IO-Lab, which is planned for the first time in the context of this year's SambaXP unfortunately cannot take place due to the current circumstances.
You can find all the latest information at sambaxp.org.
The organizing committee is available for questions at loc@sambaXP.org.
We are looking forward to a digital SambaXP 2020 and would like to thank the sponsors Google and Microsoft.
Samba is the most important free software alternative for SMB/CIFS servers, especially in the Microsoft Windows environment. You can find more information at samba.org.
SerNet GmbH is the global technological market leader for services related to the open source software Samba and offers its own Samba distribution under the brand name SAMBA+. Further information can be found at sernet.de and samba.plus.
- At present, there is no case of COVID-19 infection at SerNet and nobody is in domestic quarantine.
- All SerNet colleagues with children, all those over 50 years of age and those with health pre-conditions are now working in the home office and can still be reached by email and telephone as before.
- All other colleagues are also in the HomeOffice, with the exception of a minimum crew present in our offices in Göttingen and Berlin.
- On-site visits to our customers are reduced to the minimum necessary.
- If possible, we do not postpone any projects, as this crisis will, according to the current state of knowledge, extend well beyond four weeks. Delays will be discussed with our customers and negative effects will be reduced as much as possible.
- The capacities of our telephone switchboard will be expanded. Our customers could notice bottlenecks at the beginning of the week at most due to the switch to home office, but these will be quickly eliminated. Please send us mails to the known addresses or firstname.lastname@example.org if there are problems with the telephone availability.
- The number and capacity of VPN channels for our customers will be significantly increased to avoid bottlenecks. All customers can simultaneously use all VPN channels managed by SerNet to access their own networks with sufficient bandwidth.